Are you looking for a missions project for the people in your church or small group? Are you looking for a way to support missionaries as a family or individual?
Christmas in August provides a simple way you can directly help a North American missionary.
Every year WMU and the North American Mission Board partner to select missionaries who will be featured in Christmas in August. These missionaries provide a list of items they need for ministry and outreach. The lists of requested items are posted online, and then you can select a missionary (or two or three), collect the requested items and send the items to the missionaries.
Here’s how Christmas in August works:
HOW CAN I PARTICIPATE?
- Pray. Begin with a time of prayer for your Christmas in August project.
- Choose. Select the missionary or missionaries you will gather supplies for and decide which supplies you will gather. You may send several of the same item, a few of the items, or some of all of the items.
- Promote. Tell others about your project, including your family, friends, church family and colleagues. Send out a list of the items you are collecting. Share when and where to leave the gifts. Get creative as you promote Christmas in August; use social media accounts, post on your church’s website, ask for a special announcement, and place the information in your church bulletins and programs. Some churches put up Christmas trees, place cards with the requested items on the trees, and invite their members to select an item from the tree.
- Gather. Storage can be a problem for some missionaries, so please send only those items specified on their list. Send new items only. You don’t have to include everything on the list because other churches are collecting items, too.
- Pack. Gather the items your group collects and pack them for shipping. Consider placing items that could leak inside plastic sealable bags. Please don’t wrap the items, as this creates more work for the missionaries.
- Organize. To help missionaries sort through packages more quickly, label the outside of the package with the names of the items inside.
- Prepare. Address your package to the missionary at the address listed.
- Write. Be sure to write a note of encouragement or prayer for the missionary. Give the missionary your email address, in case he has time to respond. Please explain to others involved in your project that the missionaries may receive hundreds of packages, so they often do not have time to respond to each group individually. Assure others that the missionaries are very grateful for their gifts.
- Mail. Find out the exact postage needed pay for your box or boxes. If you are mailing a package to a missionary in Canada, take note of the special instructions below.
- Pray (again). Pray for the missionaries, their ministries and the people they serve. Pray over the items before you mail them. Pray that the missionaries can use your items to reach people with the gospel message.
PACKAGING AND MAILING
Note any particular packaging needs any mentioned by a missionary.
If you send your package by regular US mail, be sure to have the package weighed at the post office and have the proper postage affixed. (You don’t want the missionary to have to pay postage-due charges on your gift!)
If you send the package by United Parcel Service (UPS), use the physical street address. UPS will not deliver to a post office box.
If mailing to Canada: Please send via US Parcel Post. Do not send via UPS, FedEx or other courier service as they will charge customs fees to send to Canada. Complete a Customs Declaration Form at the post office when you ship your box. On the form is a box that needs to be checked: Gift. By doing this, the missionary is not required to pay any fees upon the boxes’ arrival. Visit usps.com for more information.
2022 Christmas in August Missionaries
Lead Pastor/Church Planter
4642 Camellia Place
Alton, IL 62002
Requiem Church is a new plant in Alton, Illinois. Our vision is to help suffering people find rest in a strong and beautiful God. We are located just across the river from Missouri, and Illinois prides itself on being one of the most liberal states in America in regards to abortion laws (there are even billboards bragging about that as you drive across the river out of Saint Louis). In light of this, Requiem Church would use these gifts to support ThriVe Metro East, a local pregnancy resource center serving women by helping them choose life and introducing them to the gospel of Jesus Christ. We would include information about Requiem Church and invite them to join us as we grow to know, love, and follow Jesus together by His grace.
- The Jesus Storybook Bible (Sally Lloyd-Jones)
- She Reads Truth Bible (Hardcover)
- Baby wipes
- Diapers (newborn to size 2)
- Infant toys
- Infant clothes
- Pampering items for women (i.e., perfume, jewelry, nail kits, body sprays, lotions, candles, etc.)
- Panera gift cards
- Target gift cards
- New Growth Press minibooks on parenting or women’s issues (newgrowthpress.com/minibooks)
Attention: Fields Feeding Program
27171 West Chicago Road
Redford, MI 48239
Thanks so much for allowing us to participate. Our particular focus has been on clothing and food insecurities.
Gift Card Needs
- Sam’s Club
7101 NW Waukomis Dr.
Kansas City, MO 64151
We are planting a new church in North Kansas City, Missouri, and have been informed by several residents there is a great need for school supplies. There are many single-parent families, so removing one burden from their plates could be a great blessing to them! We pray displaying the love of Christ with our actions would open doors for the good news to be proclaimed with our words.
- Loose-leaf paper
- 2 pencils
- 1-inch 3-ring binders
- Spiral notebooks
1791 Baylee Lane
Choctaw, OK 73020
Thank you so much for your invitation to help me lead well and proclaim the gospel to our Army National Guard soldiers. I am truly humbled and honored to have you all think of but specifically pray for me and my family and the ministry we get to be a part of.
- Candy and/or gum to distribute to the soldiers as I make my rounds to visit them. This helps ensure they think positive thoughts every time they see me, which opens their hearts more to the gospel and my presence.
- A portable baptistery or money to purchase a portable baptistery. Specifically, I am in need of one that is light so I can pack it in my bag. I am looking to do a baptism in June, and it would be nice to have a plan in place for baptizing this soldier.
- Any gift cards to restaurants would be helpful so I could encourage the soldiers to date their spouses and do so in a godly manner.
Connection Church Longmont
833 15th Ave.
Longmont, CO 80501
Connection Church is a new church plant in Longmont, Colorado, hoping to launch in fall 2022. We are meeting with a small group of people now and are hosting 20 block parties this summer to hopefully reach out to 50,000–60,000 people in our city.
With our new church plant seeking to love and serve our community, we have looked for those who have the greatest needs. One of these areas we have found affects at least a third of our public schools. Connection Church has been working to build relationships with these schools and has found some great areas of need. We want to supply our lowest income schools with school supplies they can use for their students and teachers throughout the school year. Your help purchasing these items gives us an opportunity to love our schools and opens the door for us to be able to share the gospel with teachers and school administrators.
- Spiral notebooks
- Composition notebooks
- Graph paper
- Facial tissue
- Dry-erase markers
- Index cards
- Here is the link to our Amazon wish list, where you can help us purchase these needed supplies, and they will ship directly to us: co/capfISV.
PO Box 275
Mascoutah, IL 62258
The mission statement for Purposed Church is “We exist to serve our community, make disciples, and impact the world!” Our wish lists consist of items to help us continue doing what the Lord has called us to do.
Needs for Serving Our Community
We are hosting a back-to-school pool party this year, and we would love to bless as many children as possible.
- Gift cards—Walmart, Target, Amazon, Dollar General
- Loose-leaf paper
- 3-subject spiral notebooks
- 1-subject spiral notebooks
- Markers (regular and dry-erase)
- Facial tissue
- Hand sanitizer
Needs for Making Disciples
We plan to purchase books and materials for new believers, leadership training, evangelism and to bless our team.
- Crossway gift cards
- Lifeway gift cards
- Amazon gift cards
Needs for Impacting the World
Pastor Belafae is planning to take his first mission trip in October to Uganda. He also sits on the board of directors for Raising Hands Ministries International, which has a clinic that serves many locals and provides numerous opportunities to share the gospel. We need the following items to help stock the clinic with needed supplies. We will mail these items prior to Pastor Belafae’s planned trip.
- Elastic self-adhesive bandages
- Ace wraps
- Eyewash and eye drops
- Anti-itch cream
- Triple antibiotic ointment
- Long tweezers
- Bandage scissors
- Normal saline
- Sterile water
- Bandages—4-by-4 and wrap
Centro Bíblico La Roca (The Rock Bible Center)
550 Portland Road
Waterloo, WI 53594
For the past 3 years, we have had a service every Thursday from 5:00 to 7:00 p.m. for children ages 6 to 15. These children and teens have faithfully attended, even when we have subzero weather. The time is distributed in games, snacks, songs, and Bible study with manual work respectively. We regularly have an attendance of 17 children.
- Art supplies (acrylic paints, brushes, and frames of different sizes)
- Bibles for children
- Bible story coloring books
- White T-shirts of different sizes
- Balloons of different sizes
- Sports balls (volleyballs, basketballs, soccer balls)
- Markers and highlighters
David and Kathy Parsons
2536 Woodberry Drive
Winston-Salem, NC 27106
We serve as missionaries with the North American Mission Board and minister to multifamily housing communities in North Carolina. We have ministries in 8 areas of Winston-Salem and enjoy teaching churches throughout the state how to duplicate our ministry in their cities. Daily we see challenged and neglected families and children who have many physical and spiritual needs.
We provide Bible clubs, summer camps for children, teen and children special events, and many adult Bible and meal events. We often have craft times at our events and make gift bags for our children that include school supplies and small toys. We make gift bags for adults that include cleaners and basic household supplies. These gift bags demonstrate God’s love in a tangible way as we connect with children and their families.
Thank you for partnering with us to present the gospel of Jesus Christ to many who have never heard it.
We look forward to how God will work in the lives of children, sponsors, and churches during this special emphasis and time of sharing.
- Crayola crayons (8 or 24 packs)
- Small toys
- Stickers (child-friendly)
- Dishrags and dish towels
- Bars of soap, washcloths, and small towels
- Sidewalk chalk
- School supplies (safety scissors, colored pencils, glue sticks, markers, handheld pencil sharpeners, large pink erasers, no. 2 yellow wooden pencils)
- Case of The Jesus Storybook Bible or The Action Bible (New Edition)
- Walmart gift cards (for snacks, meal items, office supplies, gift bag supplies)
- Dollar Tree gift cards (for snacks, meal items, office supplies, gift bag supplies)
6300 Tylersville Road
West Chester, OH 45069
I am Amer Safadi, planter of an Arabic church in Cincinnati, Ohio, and my vision is to plant Arabic Baptist churches in every city and state. By God’s grace, we are praying and planning to launch the first Arabic church in northern Kentucky’s history by the end of this year. We have had members from 9 different Arab countries and from Catholic, Orthodox, Muslim Sunni, and Alawite backgrounds accept Jesus as their Lord and Savior, and they are worshipping our Lord together in one place in Cincinnati—all the glory to our Lord and Savior.
Thank you for your prayers and for supporting our ministry among the Arab and Muslim community in the United States. Our services are on Saturdays at 6:30 p.m. ET, and we have fellowship after the service. We also have monthly outreach and, in the summer, a biweekly outreach. We recently launched a monthly women’s small group, a men’s small group, and a youth and children’s ministry.
We appreciate any help because our church is still new and members still struggle with giving. We trust our Lord always; He covers the ministry needs and our needs in His way.
- Walmart gift cards for the weekly fellowship time
- Costco gift cards for the children’s snacks and monthly meals
- Small water bottles (8 ounces or 16 ounces)
- Coffee with flavor
- Children’s individual snacks (cheese crackers, chips, etc.)
- Coffee and tea
- Thermos to serve coffee and tea
- Small children’s gifts for outreach
- Christmas gifts for children
- Church music equipment or Visa gift cards to help with purchasing these items (drums and other percussion instruments, laptop, tablet, keyboard)
Pioneer Community Church
212 Crossroads Blvd., #193
Saratoga Springs, UT 84045
Pioneer Community Church is 1 of only 3 Christian churches in an area of more than 90,000 people! We planted Pioneer Community Church in Eagle Mountain, Utah, just 3 years ago. Our church is still very small (less than 50 people), but we are seeing people come to faith and be discipled.
We are in a very middle-class area, so our needs are not physical but spiritual. Some of the most effective tools in our ministry have been small books we can give out at church or through our members. We have seen great success from the Who Is Jesus book by Greg Gilbert. I would love to be able to build off that success with other similar books.
- What Is the Gospel tracts can be so effective in our context.
- Small books like Bible: Can We Trust It? can be so effective in our context as most of the people we come in contact with have been told the Bible is untrustworthy.
- We use the book War: Why Did Life Just Get Harder? as our new believer study. So many of those being saved in Utah are going to lose family and friends. They are going to experience spiritual warfare, and we want to walk through that with them. This book is a great tool.
- The Case for Christ
- Big Theology for Little Hearts is a board-book series by Devon and Jessica Robyn Provencher that teaches young children key Christian truths in easy-to-understand terms. Each book—God, Jesus, and The Gospel—introduces a big idea from the Bible with 10 simple definitions and corresponding illustrations to help young minds grasp a foundational understanding of theology.
- $10 Walmart gift cards can be used for missions teams, giveaways at block parties, and benevolence ministries.
- $10 Chick-fil-A gift cards can be used for giveaways at block parties and community events.
6401 Scanlan Ave.
Saint Louis, MO 63139
My name is Josh Wilson, and I serve as the lead pastor of a brand-new church plant in Saint Louis, Missouri. Our church plant was recently recommended by the North American Mission Board as a recipient of Christmas in August. We view this as an incredible opportunity to better serve the city where God has called us to serve.
Saint Louis is stricken with division and brokenness yet ripe with opportunity. The past population decline has opened Saint Louis to many refugees looking to relocate to the US.
In 2022 alone, 1,800 refugees are expected to relocate to our city. Saint Louis has the 2nd largest Bosnian population in the world, and more 110 languages are represented. Such diversity is a blessing because God has brought the nations to our backyard. One of the challenges for these families, though, is supplying their children for the school year. Working with the school system and local refugee ministries, we seek to provide hundreds of backpacks full of school supplies to families in need in our city. As a budding church plant of 50 adults, this scope of work is beyond our capacity without your help. We are eager to partner with WMU and you to better serve our city.
- Travel-sized hand sanitizer
- Colored pencils
- Notebook paper
- Felt-tip markers
- Glue sticks
- Target or Walmart gift cards
Connecticut Department of Correction
1153 East Street, South
Suffield, CT 06078
For the past 12 years, I have worked as a prison chaplain for the Connecticut Department of Correction. I am endorsed by the North American Mission Board. I currently work at a large maximum-security prison for men. The average stay of our inmates is 34 years. We rely on the generosity of others to supply our incarcerated men with Bibles and other books. We desperately need study Bibles for our inmates; they are not often donated by our ministry partners. Many of these men are very serious about their Christian faith. A study Bible would greatly help them deepen their walks with Christ. We could use 100 copies or whatever you could help us with. Thank you for your consideration.
- Visa/Mastercard gift cards to purchase study Bibles
- New King James study Bible
- ESV study Bible