By National WMU on April 07, 2017
Your missions group can directly help a North American missionary with items needed for ministry and outreach. We have included step-by-step instructions and a list of missionaries for different age-levels and their requested items.
What is Christmas in August?
The North American Mission Board and national WMU partner in choosing the missionaries who then provide a list of items they wish to receive. Missions groups gather the requested items and send them to the missionaries.
How did it begin?
Started in 1927 by a group in Charlottesville, Virginia, Christmas in August has grown to be a national ministry each year. Read more of the history...
How can my group participate?
Pray, choose a missionary (or a few), gather your supplies, mail your packages, and pray for how your items will be used.
- Pray. Begin with a time of prayer for your Christmas in August missionary.
- Choose. Pick which missionary (or missionaries) you will gather supplies for.
- Promote. Tell everyone about the project. Give out a list of the items. Tell when and where to leave the gifts.
- Gather. Send the missionaries only those items specified on their list. Send new items only. You don’t have to include everything that is on the list because other churches will take part, too.
- Pack. Gather the items your group collects and pack them up to be shipped. Consider placing items that could leak inside plastic sealable bags. Do not wrap the items.
- Organize. Label the outside of the package with the names of items inside. This will help missionaries sort through packages more quickly.
- Prepare. Address your package to the missionary at the address listed. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for the missionary to acknowledge receipt of your gifts.
- Write. Give the missionary your email address. Explain to your missions group that the missionaries may receive hundreds of packages, and may not have time to respond to each group individually.
- Mail. Find out the exact postage to pay for your box or boxes. If you select the missionary in Canada, take note of the special instructions for mailing to that country.
- Pray (again). Pray for the missionary, his or her ministries, and the people served. Pray they are able to use your items to reach people with the gospel message.