Security cameras showed the front doors at the national WMU building in Birmingham were randomly opening and closing late one night. There were no people around. Was it possible for an animal to set off the sensor? We could see from the video feed the front doors were locked. This was quite the mystery. How do doors open and close from the outside when they are locked? Clearly, something was amiss.
One of our employees carefully watched the security camera aimed at the sensor for the front door. Occasionally he noticed a flicker of light, and then the doors would open. Eventually he discovered the problem when a lightning bug flew right in front of the camera. Apparently, a firefly had made its way inside the building. When the light-emitting winged beetle came close to the door opening sensor box and lit up, the front doors opened. The incident served to remind me small lights can have a huge impact.
Let me tell you about committed Christ followers faithfully serving others while sharing Christ.
- Joyce works at a fast-food restaurant. Everyone who comes through her drive-through line is blessed by her overflowing joy and is reminded God loves them.
- Susan’s gift is hospitality. She provides snacks and notes with encouraging scriptures at a local hospice inpatient facility. She shares the love of Christ with hurting and vulnerable families.
- Hannah invited children in her neighborhood to join her in a walk-a-thon to raise money for a global water ministry. The children were taught about God’s work in the world.
- Matthew retired early to volunteer at his grandson’s school. He believes children need positive Christian role models.
- Marsha welcomes new people in her neighborhood with a basket of fruit if the weather is warm or a pot of soup if it’s cold.
- Ken uses his free time to transport senior adults to doctor appointments.
- Becky journeys to her local Asian restaurant to teach English to employees during their breaks.
- Nick worked on his neighbor’s lawn mower. His neighbor said, “What do I owe you?” Nick responded, “I’d like you to come to church with me.” The neighbor went to church, accepted Christ, and became a devoted Christian.
Small lights can have a huge impact. Are you letting your light shine?
Father, thank You for Your light that shatters the darkness. Let Your light shine brightly through me. In Jesus’ name, amen.
Sandy-Wisdom Martin serves as the executive director/treasurer for national WMU.