We believe missions is a lifestyle; therefore, we provide missions education resources for all age-levels—from preschoolers to senior adults. Whatever your age or stage in life, we have missions resources for you. Through missions, others may hear of Jesus, the giver of eternal life.
Founded in 1888, WMU® is a missions organization that has educated and involved generations upon generations in Christian missions. Our purpose—to challenge Christian believers to understand and be radically involved in the mission of God—is accomplished through our age-level missions organizations, hands-on missions opportunities, and additional resources produced by WMU.
WMU is a nonprofit organization headquartered in Birmingham, Alabama, that offers a vast array of missions resources including curriculum for age-level organizations in churches, volunteer opportunities, conferences, leadership training, ministry ideas and models, books, and much more. To financially support our ministry, we operate three lines of business: WMU missions education resources, WorldCraftsSM, and New Hope® Publishers.
WMU Missions Education Resources
The main purpose of WMU is to educate and involve preschoolers, children, students, and adults in the cause of Christian missions. WMU supports the following organizations through age-appropriate magazines and/or products:
• Women on Mission®—for women
• Adults on MissionSM—for men and women
• myMISSIONSM—for collegiate and young women
• Acteens®—for girls grades 7–12
• Challengers®—for boys grades 7–12
• Youth on MissionSM—for boys and girls grades 7–12
• Girls in Action®—for girls grades 1–6
• Royal Ambassadors®—for boys grades 1–6
• Children in ActionSM—for boys and girls grades 1–6
• Mission Friends®—for preschool girls and boys birth through kindergarten
Numerous books were released for various audiences, and selected materials were also produced in Cambodian, Chinese, French, Korean, Spanish, and Vietnamese.
WorldCrafts is a nonprofit, fair-trade ministry of WMU which imports and markets unique handmade gifts in the United States from more than 25 countries on 5 continents. Begun in 1996, WorldCrafts works with artisans and develops their businesses according to Fair Trade Federation guidelines.
This ministry provides a microenterprise opportunity that helps local contacts cross cultural boundaries as they establish relationships with local communities and people groups by helping to alleviate poverty. Some crafts are made in very small villages where the money earned goes toward creating a better living environment for the artisans, and in some cases, for the whole village.
New Hope Publishers
New Hope Publishers is the general trade publishing division for WMU begun in 1985 to reach the broader Christian market with missional resources. There are three lines of resources printed under the New Hope imprint:
Arise—Inspiring Women. Changing Lives.
Grow—Faith-Building Bible Studies and Teaching Resources
Impact—Engaging Believers in a Missional Community
Through New Hope, we are committed to providing books and Bible studies that equip, encourage, and challenge readers in areas that are relevant to current issues of Christian living and serving.
How to Get Involved
There are many ways lives are changed—and you can help change the lives of others—through WMU. Need some help in getting started? Here are some suggestions:
- Join or lead a WMU age-level missions organization in your church.
- Don’t have WMU in your church? What a great opportunity to begin a Mission Friends, Girls in Action, or Women on Mission organization! Click here to download free starter packs. Curriculum is available for every age group, and new organizations can enjoy a limited supply of free curriculum materials for the first six months (contact your state WMU office for details).
- Get involved in WMU hands-on ministries where opportunities to serve others abound! Experience missions first-hand during FamilyFESTSM; mentor a Christian Women’s Job Corps participant; or host a WorldCraftsSM party.
- Shop wmustore.com for quality missions resources from WMU, Bible studies and inspiring books from New Hope Publishers, and unique, hand-crafted items from WorldCrafts. National WMU is supported through the sale of magazines and products, so your purchase from WMU directly helps to support our mission.
- Give to the WMU Foundation. Established in 1995, the WMU Foundation exists to support the mission and ministries of WMU. With more than 125 different funds and endowments held by the Foundation, you are sure to find precisely the way you want to support missions through WMU.
Main Office: (205) 991-8100
Customer Service: 1-800-968-7301
Woman’s Missionary Union (WMU)
P.O. Box 830010
Birmingham, AL 35283-0010