Through Christmas in August you can directly help a North American missionary with items needed for ministry and outreach.
Christmas in August is a program sponsored by WMU and the North American Mission Board. It allows members of WMU organizations to participate in the work of North American missionaries by supplying them with items needed in large quantities in their ministries.
Here’s How It Works
- Pray. Begin with a time of prayer for your Christmas in August missionary(ies).
- Choose. Pick which missionary(ies) you will gather supplies for and which supplies you will gather. You may send several of the same item, a few of the items, or some of all of the items. You may select one missionary or more than one. The number of items you send and the number of missionaries you help will depend on the size of your group.
- Promote. Tell everyone about the project. Give out a list of the items. Tell when and where to leave the gifts.
- Gather. Send the missionaries only those items specified on their list. Send new items only. You don’t have to include everything that is on the list because other churches will take part too.
- Pack. Gather the items your group collects and pack them up to be shipped. Consider placing items that could leak inside plastic sealable bags. Do not wrap the items.
- Organize. Label the outside of the package with the names of items inside. This will help missionaries sort through packages more quickly.
- Prepare. Address your package to the missionary at the address listed. Include a self-addressed, stamped postcard for the missionary to acknowledge receipt of your gifts.
- Write. Give the missionary your email address. Explain to your missions group that the missionaries may receive hundreds of packages, and may not have time to respond to each group individually.
- Mail. Find out the exact postage to pay for your box(es). If you select the missionary in Canada, take note of the special instructions for mailing to that country.
- Pray (again). Pray for the missionary, his or her ministries, and the people served. Pray they are able to use your items to reach people with the gospel message.
Packaging and Mailing
- Note any particular packaging needs any missionary might mention.
- If you send your package by regular US mail, be sure to have the package weighed at the post office and have the proper postage affixed. (You don’t want the missionary to have to pay postage-due charges on your gift!)
- If you send the package by United Parcel Service (UPS), use the physical street address. UPS will not deliver to a post office box.
- If mailing to Canada: Please send via US Parcel Post. Do not send via UPS, FedEx or other courier service as they will charge customs fees to send to Canada. Complete a Customs Declaration Form at the post office when you ship your box. On the form is a box that needs to be checked: Gift. By doing this, the missionary is not required to pay any fees upon the boxes’ arrival. For more information, visit usps.com.
The missionaries expressed gratitude for your support when they sent their requests. They are excited about receiving these items.
2017 Christmas in August Missionaries
Travis and Rebecca Rymer
Collegiate/University Missionary (MSC)
Grace Harbor Church
47 Fenner Street
Providence, RI 02903
Street Address (for packages)
10 Tobey Street
Providence, RI 02909
- Amazon.com gift cards
- Walmart gift cards
- plates, cups, napkins
- face painting supplies
- USPS Forever postage stamps
- Starbucks gift cards
- Staples gift cards
Grace Harbor Church is in the city of Providence, Rhode Island, near the campus of five colleges and universities. They have a campus ministry at Johnson & Wales University. In the summer they join with other churches to put on a VBS–style outreach in the parks of the city of Providence. They also seek to help and start new churches in the area.
Coffee cards are used at campus coffee shops to meet with students for Bible study and discipleship. They also purchase a lot of books to give away for one-to-one discipling. Postage stamps help us tell the story as we use them to mail news letters, cards, and information to alumni and financial partners.
Community Outreach Coordinator
932 Cranston Dr. SE
Calgary, Alberta, Canada T3M 1E3
- scissors (for preschool and children)
- Christian stickers
- Christian story books for children ages 3–7
- Christian books for children ages 8–12
- children’s Christian worship music CDs
- copies of The Jesus Storybook Bible to give to children
- gift cards to buy T-ball supplies for preschool T-ball camp
- washable markers
- Christian coloring books and activity books
Note: Senders will have to complete a Customs Declaration Form and check box: Gift. By doing this, the missionary is not required to pay any fees upon the boxes’ arrival.
Many of the 10,000 people in the Southwinds Church community are young families. Southwinds Church is one of two gospel-preaching churches in the community. Less than five percent of the community attends church regularly, and most will leave the community to attend church.
One of the most effective outreaches is a summer T-ball camp for children between the ages of three and six. This introduces the church to families in the community for the first time. Every child at camp receives a Bible. They ensure that children encounter Jesus in a fun and exciting way both at camp and at church. Holly says, “Thank you for partnering with us in ministering to the families in our community!”
Church and Community Ministries Catalyst
2324 Bluegill Ct.
Saint Augustine, FL 32092-2433
- latex and non-latex exam gloves, all sizes
- toothbrushes, toothpaste
- dental floss
- boxes of facial tissues
- Christian tracts
- Lysol disinfectant spray
- children’s Bibles, Spanish New Testaments, Spanish Bibles
- craft supplies: markers, crayons, glue sticks, small scissors, paper plates
- pool toys: diving sticks or rings, beach balls
- Christmas cards with photo-insert pockets
As catalyst for Church and Community Ministries with the Florida Baptist Convention, Marc assists churches in reaching out to their communities with the good news of salvation through Jesus Christ. One of the ministries is the Florida Baptist Mobile Dental Unit. This unit is used by churches and associations to provide free dental care for children and adults who can’t afford dental care.
Marc also leads outreach to the 100 million tourists who visit the state each year. Creative ministries like Kid’s Clubs at hotel pools and living nativities in major tourist thoroughfares reach visiting children and tourists.
The first six items on the list below will help the dental unit provide care. The other items will assist in the tourist outreach ministries.
Collegiate/University Missionary (MSC)
4462 Eastern St.
New Orleans, LA 70122
- New Testaments (NLT translation) or LifeWay gift cards
- regular-size Christmas stockings (can be from a dollar store)
- Walmart or Sam’s Club gift cards
- sticky notes
- index cards
- full-sized candy bars
- blue or red small gift bags (approx. 5-by-10 inches)
- mechanical pencils
- stick-on name tags
Kimberly is a missionary to international students for the Baptist Collegiate Ministry at the University of New Orleans. These gifts will help provide supplies needed for ministry to international students studying in NOLA. Some of the supplies will be used for welcome bags or exam care packages at conversational English classes and holiday events in which Kimberly and her team will share the gospel and the love of Jesus with students from around the world.
Jim and Myrtle Ballard
Cowboy Church Planting Catalyst
2317 Chaparro Lane
Blackfoot, Idaho 83221
- “Saddle-Up for Jesus” Cowboy and Cowgirl Bible Pocket Partners (Order through saddleupforjesus.com. You can use the Ballards’ mailing address for delivery.)
- cowboy gospel tracts
- children’s books and Bible stories
- cowboy New Testaments
- red, blue, or pink bandanas
- school supplies
- gallon-sized ziplock bags
- individual tubes of sunblock
- lip balm
- travel-sized shampoo and conditioner
- thumb drives or memory sticks
Jim and Myrtle work to reach people in the western culture of the United States. The Ballards give out 4,000 Cowboy/Cowgirl Bible Pocket Partners every year! The Ballards also put on Rodeo Bible Camps where campers experience and learn about the love of Jesus.